Student Accessibility Services
The Student Accessibility Services office services all students at all locations, as well as those who study online or through the self-paced program.
The Student Accessibility Services Office provides resources and support to students with disabilities, as well as the faculty and staff involved in their education, in compliance with applicable law and best practices in higher education.
We provide services so students can equally enjoy the academic and student life opportunities available at UIU. Our office provides support as required by law under the Americans with Disabilities Act as Amended (ADAAA) of 2008, including the following services:
- Coordination of the implementation of reasonable accommodations
- Assistance with other disability-related services
- Assist with personal growth, development and empowerment of students that leads toward self-advocacy.
- Provide timely, effective and reasonable accommodations.
- Serve as a liaison between students, faculty and staff.
- Promote awareness through various outreach initiatives.
- Stay abreast of trends and issues related to student accessibility services in higher education.
Navigating Accessibility Services
For help signing up for accommodations, take a look at the video below. If you have any questions send us an email and we will be happy to help.
For students that will be attending the main campus in 菲也特, here is a video showing you how to get to the Student Accessibility Office.
Student Accessibility Services Handbook
请求住宿, please select the one of the following options below (all options require you to log into myUIU). Should you have any questions about the process, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Emotional Support Animal Registration
- New Accommodation Request (must be logged into myUIU before accessing)
- Renew Your Accommodation Request (must be logged into myUIU before accessing)
- Testing Accommodation Request (must be logged into myUIU before accessing)
- Temporary Accommodation Request (must be logged into myUIU before accessing)
- 手语解释 Request (must be logged into myUIU before accessing)
- Alternative Format and Textbook Service Request (must be logged into myUIU before accessing)
- Request for an Emotional Support Animal (pdf)
Accommodations are only granted for two sessions (one semester). As such, students need to renew their accommodations accordingly.
If you qualify for alternate format textbooks through the Student Accessibility Services Office, please complete a 申请住宿 as outlined above. Please note that alternate texts book requests will only be processed if the Student Accessibility Services Office receives a copy of the purchase receipt.
上爱荷华大学 contracts with licensed interpreters to provide communication access universitywide for students who are deaf/hard of hearing. We contract with interpreters that value the rights of deaf/hard of hearing students and support students in reaching their full potential. All interpreters meet the requirements of the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID). To request sign language interpretation, please complete a 申请住宿 as outlined in that section above.
- Interpreting services may be scheduled for classes, 会议, peer tutoring and other UIU-sponsored events.
- UIU does not have any interpreters on staff at this time. We contract with a third-party agency and assign interpreters based on availability and student need.
基于 美国残疾人法案, a service animal is any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, 包括一个物理, 感觉, 精神病学, intellectual or other mental disability. Learn more about service animals and emotional support animals.
The Student Accessibility Services office is located on the second floor of the Student Center (229) at 菲也特 Campus.
Director of Student Accessibility Services
GA for Student Accessibility Services
上爱荷华大学 has multiple resources that can aid students during their university career.